Friday, October 19, 2007

Seek and you shall find

The single most important element to being successful in the markets is having a plan. First, a plan forces discipline, which is an essential ingredient to successful trading. Second, a plan gives you a benchmark against which you can measure your performance - Howard Seidler.

It really is amazing how much good information is out there on the internet. And the best part is that most of it is free. All we have to do is look for it. I feel I have learnt a great deal from online forums and other resources available over the internet. This post is simply a list of material that I have used and that others may find useful.

I have started numerous threads over at Aussie Stock Forums, including topics such as:

*System Robustness
*Drawdowns
*Would you trade this system?
*Outside the "Blueprint"
*Systems testing

And read the whole thread. Don't focus on what I write, but rather, on the responses, which are mostly from seasoned professionals.

This is an interview with author and hedge fund manager Robert Pardo. I think it's very good and I found it useful. He covers several important aspects of systems development.

Chuck LeBeau's presentation on exits is another resource I would highly recommend.

On Nick Radge's forum, there is so much knowledge you would not believe.

Tech/a has shared the discussion regarding the full design and development of his system and traded it live and answered questions for the last 5 years. Any question you have on systems development chances are somebody has asked it and it has been responded to. I would recommend reading the whole folder (about 50 threads).

Also, in the Trading Systems section, go to the very end, and read anything by Stevo and OPM and tech/a. A search may be helpful here.

And lastly, I just stumbled across another forum recently, called Elite traders. This thread by Acracy is pure gold. I would regard it as the next level of system development. He goes beyond entries, exits, and money management.

No comments: